|Prof. Dr. Zeki KAYA|
Middle East Technical University, Department of Biological Sciences, 06800 Ankara/TURKEY
Office Room: 246
Tel: +90 312 210 5177
Fax: +90 312 210 7976
E - Mail: kayaz[-at-]metu.edu.tr
Education: B.Sc.: Istanbul University, M.Sc., Ph.D.: Oregon State University
Research Interest: Molecular genetics of trees and crops (QTL mapping, genomic mapping, DNA markers); Conservation of genetic resources of crop and tree species; Population genetics of forest trees, genetic adaptation, ecological genetics of plants; Breeding of forest trees; Somatic embryogenesis, Plant cell, tissue and organ cultures
Description of research activities: Development of mature somatic embryos from embryonic callus of conifers, Molecular phylogenetics of Oaks, The role of hybridization on oak speciation, Molecular breeding of poplar and willow species, Genetics improvements of Turkish forest tree species, Population genetics and genetic conservation of forest trees, Biodiversity and In situ conservation of economically important wild and medicinal plants
1. Özdilek, A., Çengel, B., Kandemir, G., Tayanç, Y., Velioğlu, E., and Kaya, Z.2011.Molecular phylogeny of relict-endemic Liquidambar orientalis mill based on sequence diversity of the chloroplast-encoded matK gene. Plant Sytematics and Evolution (DOI:10.1007/s00606-011-0548-6) .
2. Cengel, B., Kaya, Z., Tayanc, Y., Kandemir, G.E., Velioglu, E., Alan, M. and Kaya Z. 2011. Magnitude and efficiency of genetic diversity captured from seed stands of Pinus nigra (Arnold) subsp. pallasiana in established seed orchards and plantations. New Forests (DOI: 10.1007/s11056-011-9282-8).
3. Kandemir, G., Kaya, Z., Temel, F. and Önde S. 2010. Genetic Variation in Cold Hardiness and Phenology Between and Within Turkish Red Pine (Pinus brutia Ten.): Implications for Seed Transfer. Silvae Genetica 59(2):49-57.
4. Lise, Y., Kaya, Z., Sabuncu, R., Işık, F., Kandemir, I. and Önde, S. 2007. The impact of over-exploitation on the genetic structure of Turkish red pine (Pinus brutia Ten.) populations determined by RAPD markers. Silva Fennica 41(2) 211:220.
5. Yildirim, T., Kaya, Z., and Isik, K. 2006. Induction of embryogenic tissue and maturation of somatic embryos in Pinus brutia TEN. Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ Culture 87 (1):67-76.
6. Rogers, S.O. and Kaya, Z. 2006. DNA From Ancient Cedar Wood From King Midas’ Tomb, Turkey, and Al-Aksa Mosque, Israel. Silvae Genetica 55 (2):54-62.
Graduate program affiliation: Biology, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics